6.08.2008

First Towel

I took the first towel off the loom last night. I probably should have waited until they were all done (I think I can get at least 3 off this warp) but I was anxious to see what it looked like and if I was going to like the finished texture.
Pre-washing, the towel measured 15" x 24.5". After a quick trip through the washer and dryer it's now 13" x 21.25". Not too bad, shrinkage-wise, for a 100% cotton fabric.
Some of the blocks are pretty cool looking -
others, like the blue on the bottom left, are nothing special. But that's one reason for doing a sampler; finding patterns I like and can repeat on other projects.

I'm going to do one more towel using the same weft so we'll have a matching set. Then I think I'll change the weft to a thicker softball cotton for the third, just to see what happens. I want these done so I can play with the pretty bamboo.

Tech specs: Warp - 8/2 cotton carpet warp in navy, white and cream. Weft - 8/2 cotton carpet warp in navy and white. Pattern is from 'Weaving, A Handbook of the Fiber Arts' by Shirley E. Held

1 comments:

fibergal said...

Whoa, this was inspiring. You made me run to my yarn shelves and start digging, thanks.