7.01.2007

Addicted

Hello, my name is E and I'm addicted to weaving. It's been 2 hours and 17 minutes since I threw my last shuttle.

Ok, maybe it's not quite that bad, but I can't stay away from the loom. Today's project is a shawl made from brushed mohair I bought on our last trip to Estes Park. I had planned to crochet it into a triangular shawl, but changed my mind when I caught the weaving bug.

I wound the fiber directly from the swift onto the warping mill. Since mohair sticks to itself I thought this would be easier than winding it into a center-pull ball and then fighting it into a warp chain. The shawl is a loose weave, so I only needed 108 trips around (and around) the mill.

I'm still working slowly, double and triple-checking everything as I go.
Deb's suggestion to sit on a low stool while warping has made the process so much easier and less painful. And - Dick's shocked by this one - I'm taking lots of breaks to stretch my back as I go.

The shawl will be 18" wide by about 2 yards long. The colors above are much more accurate than the ones below (at least on my monitor). So far, I've woven about 27" and I think I can finish this one tomorrow. Hmm, I wonder what I should warp up on Tuesday . . . .

1 comments:

Woven Spun said...

welcome to the club. It's totally addicting. I had to put my loom up for the move...whew...it's killing me.