4.01.2007

Camping the Easy Way

Camp was fun! fun! fun! Take three sisters-in-law, add three daughters and two best friends, mix in a healthy dose of scrapbook supplies, photos and related stories - and you end up with a terrific weekend. The fact that we didn't have to cook, make beds, or do dishes didn't hurt either.

Camp was a four-bedroom, three bath house in Pine Mountain Club, just across the line into Kern County.
The view from the street was very pretty and the weather was great - low 60's - with some remnants of snow on the ground in shady areas after Tuesday's surprise storm. The lower level of the house - the bottom left window in the first photo - has been converted into scrap central. We arrived Friday at 3:00 and by 3:30 we had spread out and gotten down to business. I was the black sheep again - I spent about an hour putting loose photos into regular albums (not scrapbooks), but then I broke out the crochet. I even corrupted Wenona into joining me for a short time. I somehow managed to leave at home the doily pattern I wanted to work on. Fortunately, I had four other projects with me. I ended up starting two shawls. I'll post pictures tomorrow, or Tuesday, when I have the main one a little further along. (I'd like to wear it Tuesday night, but don't want to jinx myself by saying I'll have it done by then. Cross your fingers for me, OK?)

This was the first time we'd been to the Scrapbook Resort. We've been to scrap camps before, and Vickie and I did a scrapping cruise one year. We've had some great experiences and know what we like. And we like this place. We'll definitely be coming back.

Christine and Kelly were wonderful hosts. And, boy, can they cook. After the scrap room, the dining room was our favorite hang-out.
Saturday's menu consisted of caramel french toast, bacon and fresh fruit; Cobb salad; and bacon-wrapped fillet Mignon with a bourbon cream sauce, mashed potatoes and fresh baked zucchini. And the desserts?!? Friday was strawberry shortcake (made by a professional pastry chef who makes house calls!), Saturday's "snack" was chocolate fondue (made by the same chef), with ice cream sundaes, over fresh chocolate chip cookies, for dinner.

We ended up coming home a few hours early - poor Wenona came down with the same flu her grandkids had this past week. Lucky Wenona! But even with that it was a great weekend.

0 comments: