2.03.2007

Teaching is Tiring

I taught my first block-a-month class today - and I think it was a success. Of the seven students, two had lots of experience and were soon far ahead of everyone else. They were happy to work on their own, just asking questions when they needed help. The other five were beginners, including two who had just completed the beginning crochet class. The newbies worked at wildly different speeds, so I just went back and forth between them, explaining the pattern and techniques, and keeping them on track. Six of the seven were great. Friendly, helpful, positive.

I was determined that everyone who wanted to would finish the square today, so the scheduled 3-hour class stretched to f.i.v.e. hours (through lunch time. 10:30 to 3:30. Did I mention no lunch? But Chris brought Dove dark chocolate to share. Hurrah!) The last 3 hours had a party atmosphere; laughing, talking, swapping stories, yarn shopping,
cheering each other on. Very fun.

Five of the seven have signed up for more block-a-month classes and two are taking my sock class on Tuesday. And the shop owner is referring customers to me for private crochet lessons. I met with my first student yesterday for two hours and we're meeting again on Tuesday. So overall, I guess I don't suck at teaching.

But today's five hours of concentration and problem solving tired us poor retired folk out. This is how I spent my evening. As a human cat bed. Don't they (we?) look comfy?

0 comments: