10.22.2006

A Sock-Making Fool

I finished another pair of socks tonight. These are the ones I started in sock class about three weeks ago. The pattern is (basically) Ribbed Hiker from the book Crocheted Socks! I changed the stitch for the gusset and foot to single crochet rather than the split single crochet called for by the designer. The pink socks I finished last week are the same pattern except I used a mini-cluster in place of the split single crochet. I definitely prefer the pink's pattern - I'd do that one again anytime. It has a little more give, so the fit isn't quite so tight, and I love the lacy look of the clusters.
The yarn was chosen by our instructor and I don't think I'd ever use it again; it feels too scratchy and rough on my feet. And the colors just don't do anything for me - I'm not feeling the love here. But I have another pair of crocheted socks that fit almost perfectly. And that I do love.

Tech Specs: The yarn is Heirloom's Jigsaw, color #32, a 4 ply made in Italy; 75% wool, 25% nylon, 420 meters per ball. I used a "D" hook for the cuff and heel flap; and an "F" hook for the gusset and foot. If I made this one again, I'd add 2-3 rows of single crochet at the bottom of the cuff before starting the heel flap; I think it would feel more comfortable if the cuff stopped higher up the ankle. I'd also go up one more hook size, to a "G", for a slightly less snug fit.

Yarn Tails Tags: , ,

0 comments: