9.04.2006

Pass It On

One of my favorite things is to teach others to crochet. I think it's important to pass on my love of fiber and fiber arts, especially to the younger generation. I taught both of my daughters to crochet (they aren't all that interested - yet. It'll come though. I have faith.) The Lovely Lisa had one crochet lesson before she fell in a company soccer game & hurt her wrist. (Hmmm, that was awhile ago. Hey, Lisa! Time for the next lesson??)

But my best student is Holly* (that's Holly on the right, with her mom, Cynthia.)
When we joined them in Big Bear for a long weekend last May, Holly voiced an interest in learning to crochet. Big Bear has only one yarn shop and it had opened just that weekend. (Karma!) We picked out a hook and some yarn from their limited selection and before the weekend was over, Holly was well on her way to crochet addiction.

And addiction is probably the right word. I saw Holly's work several months later and was stunned. Her stitches are perfectly formed, her tension is great, and her color sense is wonderful. Her dad says Holly takes her crochet everywhere and has taught (he said something about them being 'strongly persuaded'; a girl after my own heart!) her high school friends to crochet also. I'm so proud.

We're getting together with Holly & parents this Thursday night to see "Curtains" at the Ahmanson Theatre. I can't wait to see what Holly's been working on and how she's progressed. And I want to be able to show off an FO (finished object) of my own - one I started just two days ago. I wish I would come up with these 'brilliant' ideas with more lead time. This one is an airy shawl in a 3-ply DK weight, natural alpaca yarn in "Nutmeg".
(It's a little darker than this photo, with a touch of red. Lovely super-soft stuff that I fell in love with in Solvang.) The pattern is "Valentina" from Melissa Leapman's book "Cool Crochet" - which I love, love, love. Great patterns, gorgeous yarns. Well worth the price. I have three days to finish the shawl. Piece of cake. (right.)

My crochet sock group looks like it is (finally) getting ready to start the crochet-along they've been talking about for months. I'm hoping it will actually happen this time. I know life happens - but this has been dragging on (and on). I really want to get going on some socks. I know I could make them on my own, but I joined this group specifically for the sock CAL.

This is the quiet, understated yarn I'm planning to use - Zitron's Polo, 60% cotton & 40% acrylic. Actually, it's loud & vibrant - perfect for socks I plan to wear while spinning in my stocking-clad feet.


*And Sharon. Sharon took a BUNCH of blue ribbons for her crochet work at this year's fair. I know it has more to do with her sense of color and adventure than with her teacher, but her teacher is still pretty proud.


Yarn Tails Tags: ,

0 comments: