8.06.2006

Weekend Wrap-Up

Although I enjoyed it thoroughly and did everything by choice, this week has kicked my behind. From Scrap Camp to the Fair, a silk dyeing class, Sheep to Shawl, creating a 50th anniversary PowerPoint (Happy Anniversary, Jim & Clema!), celebrating birthdays, and more, it was go-go-go. I've gotten used to retired life and the slower pace of working to a 'me-line' rather than a deadline.

This next week was supposed to be a mini-vacation - with the Gare Bear in Colorado, Dick & I were going to take the convertible for a cruise up the Oregon coast - but that is on hold until the contractors are done with the remodel. We may get away for a long weekend - maybe Laguna Beach and the Sawdust Festival - but nothing is definite. I love how Phase 2 is turning out, and vegging at home has real appeal after last week, so I'm fine with leaving our plans to chance.

Here are a few odds & ends from the past week:

Crafty Rachel

Rachel is very artistic and has a great eye for color, especially in photography. She's dabbled in various crafts - leatherwork and photography come to mind - but wasn't overly interested in the fiber arts. Addy's eminent arrival seems to have changed that. Rachel sent me these photos of the cross-stitch bibs she and Tanya have been making. Wish I could claim credit for Rachel's interest in things fibery, but I think Tanya has the greater claim. Don't they do nice work? Tanya made an Eyore bib and Rachel did all the rest.

Happy Birthday!

Matt and Gary's birthdays are a day apart; Matt on August 4
and Gary on August 3. With Matt's work schedule, (can you say 'rookie'? He's worked almost every day since he got out of training) Tuesday was the only day we could all get together to celebrate at our favorite pizza joint. Happy birthday, guys!
Silk Dyeing

Vickie and I took a silk dyeing/fusion class
at one of my new favorite stores, Modern Gypsy in Ventura. The owner is a member of my spinning guild and has an amazing supply of unusual spinning and weaving items. She also stocks my favorite African Folklore Embroidery kits. The class was wonderful. We got to experiment with dyeing silk hankies, roving and caps - and got cocoons to bring home and dye. The instructor, Janis Thompson from Oregon - who just happens to be one of the organizers for Black Sheep Gathering - talked non-stop for 4 hours about silk, dyes, spinning, knitting and more. It was a fabulous class. And she's coming back to Ventura in January and will probably hold another class. I'm already on the waiting list for that one.

Arcade Mania


Gary's first stop in Colorado was Dave & Buster's Arcade.
Rachel said that in just two hours, the three of them managed to win over 1200 tickets. Gary got a Broncos football (which he hopes to get signed when they go to training camp), a finger-shaped fart machine (oh, joy), candy, and a mug. And he kicked John and Rachel's butt at every game. No surprise there; Gary is the king of anything requiring good hand-eye coordination. Sounds like the trip is off to a great start.

2 comments:

Sharon said...

You have to admit his hair looks FABULOUS!! He keeps it clean and groomed. He's a sharp lookin' kid E'.
But I agree - the hoodie has to go.

Sharon said...

Oh, I forgot two things~

Happy b-day gentlemen. (BTW- those dates are birthdays in my family too.)
&
You're right Rachel has a flair - Those bibs are ADORRRRABLE.

:D

I miss you, by the way.