8.15.2006

Less and Less Retired Every Day

For a retired person, I sure seem to spend a lot of time at my former place of employment. I went in today for what I thought would be a 2 hour job. Six and a half hours later, I finally got out of there. I like the work and really enjoy seeing the people I used to work with. But the longer I'm retired, the more deeply I've gotten into 'what I want to do, when I want to do it' mode. I miss the time I'd normally spend working on my own projects.

And it's going to get worse. I agreed to work on the public safety initiative starting next week. Now that the city council has earmarked it for the November ballot, city employees and city resources can't be used on the initiative. I'll be doing a lot of behind-the-scenes jobs, setting up databases and other, as yet to be determined computer work. Should be interesting - and time consuming.

The officer's association will pay me for some of the hours I work. But I'm sure I'll also end up 'volunteering' a significant amount of time. Once I start working on something, it's really hard for me to stop. I want to see it through to the end (and make sure it's done my way. But it's not because I have control issues. And I'm not compulsive either. No, really. It's just that my way is right.) (Ok, you can stop laughing now.)


The next two months should be interesting. And working more hours - especially after the raise I received tonight - means more money for Oreo's vet bills and for enhancing the fiber stash. Woohoo! See, there is a bright side.

Oreo with her feeding tube; July 2005.

A healthier Oreo, May 2006.

Yarn Tails Tags:

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good heavens, let me introduce you to the dictionary's definition of "retire." And I quote: "retire v.i. withdraw; give up office or work; go away." Ahem! :) v

Anonymous said...

I was going to give you a hard time but I guess when you add up the hours of church work I've been doing since retirement......Maybe that's one of the reasons we're best friends, huh? :)

Anonymous said...

I don't want to alarm you, but I think vickie just told you to go away. :)

I wouldn't take that if I were you!